Monday, July 10, 2006

Yesterday we went to Plainfield (a few towns over) to participate in an herbal family day that was planned by one of my past apprentices. An herbalist turned women’s wilderness intrustor I know came down from Vermont to lead the group with stories and songs. Unfortunately the group was small, just 2 families, still we had a good day.

First led by the children we identified some common weeds: Plantain, Chickweed, Mullein, Coltsfoot, Red Clover. I am always amazed at our children and how much they ALREADY know. Lorene told us that she calls plantain the fairy highway plant, because of it’s deep ribs! I can just see the fairies racing up the leaves.......We all shared experiences and uses.

“What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

She then told a story about connecting with the Spirit of the Plants and we sang one of my favorite songs by Lisa Thiel. We added verses to include men and children) and one of the two year olds accompanied us on the guitar!

The Spirit of the Plants (Lisa Thiel, ©1984)

The Spirit of the plants has come to me
In the form of a beautiful dancing green woman
Her eyes filled me with peace
Her dance filled me with peace
The spirit of the plants has come to me
And has blessed me with great peace.
Her eyes filled me with peace
Her dance filled me with peace.
The spirit of the plants has come to me
In the form of a beautiful dancing green woman.


Next we walked down to the fire pit which is near a spring. Lorene made a “matchless fire” over which we made an herbal cough syrup with the leaves (Plantain, Coltsfoot, Mullein and Red Clover) we had gathered earlier. And what a treat the honey was right out of the hive, still on the comb. These kids are learning so much about a sustainable life style!

It was really a fun day. I recommend any program for kids led by Lorene Wapotich. She is a great herbalist, and runs some of the best programs for families that I know. Her business “Her Feet on the Earth” Supports girls and women to develop stronger relationships with nature, their authentic selves, and a community of women mentors and role models.

No comments: