Thursday, December 28, 2006

12 Days of Christmas



I have been reading Twelve Days of Christmas compiled by Waverly Fitzgerald. If you are not familiar with her work School of The Seasons check it out! I have found it very compatible with Waldorf Inspired Homeschooling and my interest in creating meaningful nature based traditrions and festivals for my small family.

I grew up with no real sacredness to our holidays. Yes we all gathered at Christmas and New Years, as with most large Greek families but that was it....we ate and argued! Waverly Fitzgerald’s work has also helped me find meaning in holidays that are traditionally Christian. An example being celebrating Advent leading up to Solstice instead of Christmas. I am still creating holiday traditions in my house. Every year I have more ideas than time and energy, but every year at least one is established.

This is what sometimes happens. As a single mother to a 3 year old I often find I have to let go of my plans and ideals to keep sane. Here is what happens I have a goal....like a spectacular birthday cake, or a handmade toy that needs my full attention. I am totally focussed and Zoe feels feels that all my energy is going away into something else, she starts acting needy, wanting my attention, I start rushing, the project goes downhill, I get aggravated, she feels it........etc BAD SCENE. At this point I know what I need to do walk away from the project and spend time with Zoe. Isn’t that what it is all about! Of course it is all about good planning and time management.

During the 12 Days of Christmas as part of my end of year review I like to read a book or two that stays with me. I am presently reading Everyday Blessings The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting by Myla and Jon Kabat-Zinn. When I return home in a few days I will reread one of my Steiner books, either the Kingdom of Childhood or The Education of the Child.


Here are a few New Christmas books that we aquired this year that we really liked

Chrismas For The Family by Isabel Marion

The Animals Merry Christmas by Richard Scarry

(I love this one! The illustrations are AMAZING especially if you are a Scarry fan!I am a fan of Richard Scarry since childhood. I loved his busy books, his activities for a rainy afternoon- I look forward to Zoe being old enough for those)

WIP update:

The Family Calender is done and was handed out on Christmas
The two fabric books (one for Zoe and one for her friend are well on their way to completion ready to be gifted on New Years)
(Photos to follow)

Thats all for now. We fly back to the US tomorrow.

No comments: